Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Impromptu Life

Today I went to a concert. I had received two free tickets from my roommate Ella, who didn't want to go, so Kristin and I went instead. However, we did not know what the concert was, who was going to be in the concert, where it was, how to get there, or anything else about it. We only knew that it was somewhere near a certain metro station and that it started at 2pm.

So we trekked out to that metro station and thankfully were familiar enough with the area that we were able to find the concert hall without too much trouble. There were hundreds of people there and lots of kids so we knew it had to be something with kids, but we didn't know whether it was a play or musical performances, etc.

And suddenly we were greeted with one of the most amazing concerts I have ever been to. The first two groups were dances. First a bunch of girls did an amazing dance routine dressed as snegurochkas and then a group of boys did a traditional Russian dance. If you have ever watched "The Fiddler on the Roof," think of the scene at the wedding where the men do that cool dance with the wine bottles on their hats. This was a bit like this, except 10 times better and without the wine bottles. Amazing. I just am kicking myself that I didn't get pictures of those first two acts.

Then there was an amazing girl, probably about 10 years old who did an incredible classical piece on a harp. And then a 15 year old boy who did two pieces on the piano--one by Chopin and one by Rachmaninoff. All of these kids were astounding and each performance was so much better than most performances by kids these ages. These were the best of the best and most of them had probably been at these musical instruments most of their childhoods. Other acts included violins, clarinets, an accordian, singing, xylophone, and a tap dancing routine.

This was the young classical harpist and the boy sang a beautiful Russian opera song.



This was the two boys who played Debussy's Clair de Lune on the piano and xylophone. Absolutely breathtaking.



This was the tap dancing routine done to American country music by Shania Twain:)



And finally this was an incredible cellist.



This was an amazing concert and I am so glad we went even though I still don't know what the concert was or what it was for. On the way back we crossed the river and the scene was so breathtaking with the ice and ducks that I just had to take a picture.



After the concert we met friends at a Mexican restaurant. I haven't had Mexican in such a long time and was so glad to find some. It was certainly not the best Mexican I've had, but it was still quite good. On the way home we took an impromptu sidetrack to get to the metro. We passed a "Dom Knigi" House of Books where most of the books were in English. Of course, we HAD to stop in, and of course I HAD to buy something. And what I find I found. Bill Bryson's "Neither Here Nor There." Bill Bryson has been one of my favorite authors since college and is Britain's favorite American author, who writes "hugely funny (not snigger-snigger funny, but great-big-belly-laugh-till-you-cry funny)" travel stories. This one is about his travels in Europe. My other favorites by him have been "Notes from a Small Island" about Britain and "Mother Tongue" about the English language.



After leaving Dom Knigi, Alister suggested we all walk to find a statue of the man who invented Russian printing. It was not far from the metro, so after a couple of wrong turns we finally found it. It was directly in front of a Ferrari and Masserati store with billionaires shopping inside while we tourists stood outside taking pictures of some statue. As we were leaving I notice in the corner of the Ferrari store, a kid's toy Ferrari go-cart. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if some of my kids from school have this and go scooting about followed closely by their nannies and bodyguards.





And this is the FSB building. The FSB is now what they used to call the KGB. Maybe I shouldn't have been taking pictures, but oh well.



Well, I had better wrap this up so I can get ready to go see my insanely wealthy but sweet kids tomorrow at school. It is Sunday night and I have had a good day and a good weekend. I shall wrap it up by drinking a cup of English Breakfast tea, while listening to Mumford and Sons, and reading a little Bill Bryson:) Goodnight world. Catch you in the morning.

Sarichka

1 comment:

  1. What a fun day you had. Thanks for sharing all the pictures! I love you!

    ReplyDelete